The Village Department of Public Works oversees the performance and maintenance of the Village’s infrastructure, including the water system, sewer system, roads, and Village property. Many of the services that the Village provides, both free and fee-based, are under the care of the DPW.
- The Village contracts with Casella for garbage pickup within the Village limits.
- Garbage pickup occurs on Wednesday mornings.
- The holiday schedule can be found on Casella's website.
- Garbage tags can be purchased at the T-burg Shur Save.
- Garbage tags have a weight limit printed on each tag. Please use an appropriate number of tags for the weight of garbage you are disposing of.
- Recycling is managed by Tompkins County, for more information please visit RecycleTompkins.org
- Recycling schedule
- Food Scrap Recycling
Mulch (wood chips) & Compost (composted leaf soil)
- Village residents
- $20 for 1.5 cubic yards, $35 for 3.0 cubic yards
- Delivery or pick-up is available
- Non-village residents
- $35 for 1.5 cubic yards, $60 for 3.0 cubic yards
- Only pick-up is available, no delivery
- Contact the Village DPW at (607) 342-2794 to schedule a pick-up.
- Order Online Here
- Curbside pick-up is done Monday mornings.
- All leaves, grass clippings, and twigs must be in paper bags.
- Has to weigh less than 50 pounds.
- All limbs must be cut to less than five feet, tied, and bundled so they can be easily handled by one person.
- We will not pick up dirt.
- We will pick up Christmas Trees.
- We are no longer picking up brush in garbage cans, bins, or any type of container.
- The Village DPW conducts seasonal leaf pick-up in the autumn using a vacuum truck. Leaf pick-up usually runs from mid-October through Thanksgiving but is subject to weather and precipitation.
- Leaves must be raked in rows between the sidewalk and curb. Leaf piles shall not extend into the street. Branches and twigs must be tied and bundled. After Thanksgiving, leaves must be bagged.
Sidewalk Snow Removal
- Sidewalks built via the Main Street project or the Safe Routes to School Sidewalk Project are maintained by the Village DPW
- For large amounts of brush, residents can hire the DIAL-A-TRUCK service
- The DPW will drop off a dump truck in the afternoon and pick it back up early the following business day.=
- To reserve the DIAL-A-TRUCK, please call the DPW at 387-5618.
- For large amounts of brush, residents can drop-off directly at the Village brush dump.
- The dump is located at the end of Pennsylvania Ave.
- Tree sections up to 16 inches in diameter and 8 feet long can be dropped off.
- Any other kind of brush, limbs, and yard waste can also be dropped off.
- The dump is open from 8:00a-2:00p on Mondays or by appointment by calling the Village DPW at 387-5618.
CONTACT THE DPW
2 Corey St.
Trumansburg, NY 14886
Dustin VanDerzee, Supervisor