The Village Department of Public Works oversees the performance and maintenance of the Village’s infrastructure, including the water system, sewer system, roads, and Village property. Many of the services that the Village provides, both free and fee-based, are under the care of the DPW.
- The Village contracts with Casella for garbage pickup within the Village limits.
- Garbage pickup occurs on Wednesday mornings.
- The holiday schedule can be found on Casella's website.
- Garbage tags can be purchased at the T-burg Shur Save.
- Recycling is managed by Tompkins County, for more information please visit RecycleTompkins.org
- Recycling schedule
- Food Scrap Recycling
Mulch (wood chips) & Compost (composted leaf soil)
- Delivery available to Village residents only; $35 for 1.5 cubic yards, $50 for 3.0 cubic yards
- Non-village residents may also purchase both mulch and compost but will have to arrange transport of the material.
- $50 for 1.5 cubic yards, $75 for 3.0 cubic yards
- Pick-up by appointment only. Please contact the Village DPW 607-387-5618.
- Curbside pick-up is done Monday mornings.
- All leaves, grass clippings, and twigs must be in paper bags.
- Has to weigh less than 50 pounds.
- All limbs must be cut to less than five feet, tied, and bundled so they can be easily handled by one person.
- We will not pick up dirt.
- We will pick up Christmas Trees.
- We are no longer picking up brush in garbage cans, bins, or any type of container.
- For large amounts of brush, residents can hire the DIAL-A-TRUCK service
- The DPW will drop off a dump truck in the afternoon and pick it back up early the following business day.
- This service is available to Village residents for $25.00 per day.
- To reserve the DIAL-A-TRUCK, please call the DPW at 387-5618.
- For large amounts of brush, residents can drop-off directly at the Village brush dump.
- The dump is located at the end of Pennsylvania Ave.
- Tree sections up to 16 inches in diameter and 8 feet long can be dropped off.
- Any other kind of brush, limbs, and yard waste can also be dropped off.
- The dump is open from 8:00a-2:00p on Mondays or by appointment by calling the Village DPW at 387-5618.
- The Village DPW conducts seasonal leaf pick-up in the autumn using a vacuum truck. Leaf pick-up usually runs from mid-October through Thanksgiving but is subject to weather and precipitation.
- Leaves must be raked in rows between the sidewalk and curb. Leaf piles shall not extend into the street. Branches and twigs must be tied and bundled. After Thanksgiving, leaves must be bagged.
Sidewalk Snow Removal
- Sidewalks built via the Main Street project or the Safe Routes to School Sidewalk Project are maintained by the Village DPW
CONTACT THE DPW
2 Corey St.
Trumansburg, NY 14886
Dustin VanDerzee, Supervisor