In 2017 the Village engaged engineering firm MRB Group to study the state of the Village's stormwater management and infrastructure. Fieldwork was conducted in 2017 and 2018 and a report was presented to the Village Board in late 2018 (see below).
In 2019 the Village received grant funding through former Assemblymember Lifton's office. NY State froze this funding in 2020 due to Covid, and finally released it for use in 2021. This grant funding was used to remediate key areas identified in the stormwater management report and the first phase of that project is now complete.
Given that the Village is receiving more frequent and more intense periods of rainfall due to climate change, the effort of addressing stormwater management in the Village will continue, potentially indefinitely.
Share Your Expertise
You are the expert when it comes to your lived experience of stormwater issues on and around your property. To help the Village plan and prioritize future stormwater projects, please share your expertise in any of the following ways:
- Document private drainage infrastructure you are aware of on or around your property. Details such as rough sketches of private infrastructure locations, pipes sizes, and connections with public Village infrastructure help expand the Village stormwater map.
- Document stormwater events on or around your property. Details such as date and location as well as pictures from "afar" can be coorelated with precipitation data and provide information on potentially undersized or damaged stormwater infrastructure.
Send descriptions and photos to email@example.com or drop them off in person at the Village Office.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Tompkins County Environmental Management Council
- Stormwater Coalition of Tompkins County