Do you need help paying for overdue water and sewer bills?
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) can help.
LIHWAP is a water and sewer emergency assistance program funded through new federal resources. Benefits are based on the amount of unpaid water and sewer bills owed by applicants. This assistance is targeted at low income households and income guidelines will mirror that of the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).
LIHWAP benefits are based on the actual amount of water and/or sewer arrears, up to a maximum of $2,500 per water or sewer provider, or $5,000 if water and sewer services are combined, per household. Benefits are paid directly to the household’s water and/or sewer vendor(s).
On October 1, 2022, a new program year will begin and households may be eligible for additional assistance even if they have already received a LIHWAP benefit in the past. Eligibility and benefits are based on:
- Household size
- Household includes a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or qualified alien, and
- Amount owed to water and/or sewer provider(s)
Primary applicants must provide:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of residence
- Documentation of earned and unearned income
- A water, sewer, or combined water and sewer bill listing their permanent and primary residence
- A valid Social Security Number (SSN) o SSNs of additional household members will be request
For more information, visit https://otda.ny.gov/LIHWAP