The Village Department of Public Works oversees the performance and maintenance of the Village’s infrastructure, including the water system, sewer system, roads, and Village property. Many of the services that the Village provides, both free and fee-based, are under the care of the DPW.
- Garbage pickup occurs on Wednesday mornings.
- Garbage tags can be purchased at the T-burg Shur Save and Good To Go Market.
- The Village contracts with Alternative Waste Services for garbage pickup within the Village limits, please see their website for any changes to the normal schedule.
- Recycling is managed by Tompkins County, for more information please visit RecycleTompkins.org
- Recycling schedule
- Food Scrap Recycling
Mulch (wood chips) & Compost (composted leaf soil)
- Delivery available to Village residents only; $35 for 1.5 cubic yards, $50 for 3.0 cubic yards
- Non-village residents may also purchase both mulch and compost but will have to arrange transport of the material.
- $50 for 1.5 cubic yards, $75 for 3.0 cubic yards
- Pick-up by appointment only. Please contact the Village DPW at 607-387-5618.
Brush Pick-Up Service & Dial-A-Truck
- Curbside pick-up is done Monday mornings.
- All leaves, grass clippings, and twigs must be in paper bags.
- Has to weigh less than 50 pounds.
- All limbs must be cut to less than five feet, tied and bundled so they can be easily handled by one person.
- We will not pick up dirt.
- We are no longer picking up brush in garbage cans, bins, or any type of container.
- Large amounts of brush will require hiring of the DIAL-A-TRUCK service, available to Village residents for $25.00 per day. To reserve the DIAL-A-TRUCK, please call the DPW at 387-5618.
- The Village DPW conducts seasonal leaf pick-up in the autumn using a vacuum truck. Leaf pick-up usually runs from mid-October through Thanksgiving but is subject to weather and precipitation.
- Leaves must be raked in rows between the sidewalk and curb. Leaf piles shall not extend into the street. Branches and twigs must be tied and bundled. After Thanksgiving, leaves must be bagged.
Sidewalk Snow Removal