On Monday night, the Village Board discussed the deployment of LimeBike in the Village. Approximately 40 bikes will be delivered on Friday in time for this weekend’s Tburg Porchfest. LimeBike will have two employees riding around all day Saturday to answer questions and offer any needed guidance.
Some items to be aware of:
- LimeBike is a private entity, the only relationship with the Village is that the Village is allowing them to operate within Village limits without interference.
- Individuals are always within their rights to move any parked bike should it be an obstruction. Our plan is to review ride metrics and public feedback at our August meeting.
- Bikes are purchased/unlocked via the LimeBike app, which you will need to download on your phone before using. There is an effort underway in Ithaca that allows non-smartphone riders to pay cash in-person then unlock the bikes via standard text message. This option is not available in T’burg as of now.
- Bikes cost $1 per 30 minutes, but you get 50% off that rate if you register with a .edu email address. Right now, I believe there’s a promotion that gives you three rides for free. (promotions are viewable within the app)
- Bikes do not come with helmets. Helmets are strongly encouraged and mandatory in NY State if you’re under the age of 14.
- The spirit of bike-sharing means that if you park your bike and go into a store, there’s no guarantee it will be there when you come out.
- For a tutorial video and bike parking dos and don’ts, visit:https://www.limebike.com/how-to-lime